Saturday, January 17, 2009

Greetings From Washington, D. C.!!


We made it! We arrived late Friday, make that Saturday morning. Our flight was delayed so our arrival time ended up being 1:00 a.m.. Bedtime was sometime during the middle of the night. It was a very short night. We woke up early to change rooms which proved extremelty chaotic; we survived it.

It was off to our appointment at the U.S.Capitol. We tackled the Metro with great success and walked to the capitol. It was truly an amazing site. Washington, today, was really quiet, almost like the calm before the storm, so to speak. We toured the brand new visitors center and capitol. At one point we heard what we thought was a choir. We looked around and there was a group from Virginia that decided to give an impromptu mini-concert. It was wonderful! Punahou high school was present and so it was great to see them. As I was standing in our tour group, I got a tap on the shoulder and lo and behold it was Nicole, the young lady from Congresswoman Kay Granger's office. We had a really great conversation about D.C., Fort Worth etc. In another one of my small world moments, I discovered that Nicole had graduated from Aledo High and knew Nancy Crossley and Charlotte Cowser. Ya just never know, do ya? Later, we walked around to the back of the capitol after some picture taking and saw the setup for Tuesday. It was unbelievable! This inauguration is for real. Oh yeah, I got some great shots of the porta-potties. They really are everywhere!

We are exhausted and filled with enthusiasm. Tomorrow will be the huge concert at the Lincoln Memorial. The kids are so excited about it! Ok, so am I. Renee Fleming and Josh Groban are among my favorites. Actually, there are a number of performers that I'm excited to see. It will be an exhausting and cold day. I keep hearing the word "snow" being used. For those of you enjoying the 60's, just so you'll know, we aren't. It's really cold here!

Well, if you're reading this, thank you. We're making memories that we can wait to share. Til next time...

3 comments:

  1. I found your blog to be very interesting. My best friend lives in DC. I hope you have a good time.

    Take a look at my blog, if you get the chance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah! You all made it safe and sound. I will be thinking about my All Saints' kids and peers all week. You will all remember this week as a week of celebration with the rest of our nation. Thanks for keeping us updated, Ann.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ann! Thanks for including us on your adventure. We look forward to reading your updates. Enjoy every moment! Take care & try to stay warm :) Rita & Devon Janitz, Bonita Springs, FL

    ReplyDelete