Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Post Inaugural Day

Today was our "out of town" day, for the students
it was "capitol day". I haven't seen the kids so
I'm not sure what kind of excitement they experienced. Tomorrow we come back together so I feel sure that they will have lots of stories to tell. I can't wait!

We, the teachers, were asked to select an out of town trip to take. Ted and Bob selected Mount Vernon and I selected Montpelier, the lifelong home of James Madison, located in Orange, VA. One thing the kids can tell you about me is that I love the Constitution so I felt that it was the only choice for me. It was well worth the long drive on the bus. Upon arrival, we were taken to the visitors center for the usual and customary introduction. The visitor center was very nice and the staff very friendly. Our tour guide met us at the front of the house to begin the tour. I am still amazed, as I always have been, that James Madison hasn't been given the public credit for all of the amazing things that he did. He is given the title "Father of the Constitution" yet has no monument, memorial or holiday. It was such an interesting tour and Montpelier is now on the list of favorite presidential homes. It just reopened on Constitution Day of 2008. I now appreciate my refrigerator and oven more than ever.

The bus ride home was, well, I don't remember. I know we left Orange and when I opened my eyes again, we were in downtown D.C. How did that happen? I think it was a nap! Remember the exhaustion part of previous blogs? Anyway, we headed to the National Press Club which I was thrilled about. I've seen so many interviews, press conferences and roasts from that venue. It was truly something to behold for a political junkie like me. We had a lovely reception followed by a terrific meal. It was with a full stomach that we watched a performance by the Capitol Steps, a group that has been performing for about 25 years. Their political humor is timely and hilarious. We were all doubled over with laughter and it was a great way to end the day. If you've never seen them, I highly recommend them.

Tomorrow, it is off to the Pentagon. We are being hosted by the Secretary of the Army, Pete Geren, and have a terrific menu of planned events, including a panel discussion, a tour and a question and answer session. I am beyond excited. We are so lucky to have this time and I think it, like so many other things we've done, be a day to remember. From there, we're contemplating a visit to Arlington National Cemetary or possibly to watch the House if they are in session. I cannot believe that tomorrow is our last full day!

We will be leaving on Friday to return home and rethink the whirlwind of a week that we have had. At some point, I hope to regroup and share memories and experiences. There have just been so many great ones!

1 comment:

  1. I notice the words "crazy" and "insane" pepper your report, along with "exhausting" and "exhilarating." Just a typical day of teaching, eh? It all sounds wonderful and simply mountain-top. Pete Geren? He and his brother Charlie went to Country Day with me (I may be older but I still have hair...hahaha). We do miss you guys (wish we were there!) and pray for your safe return. By the way, Gaines is back and terrorizing the halls in the motorized wheelchair. Never a dull moment!

    ReplyDelete