Sunday, January 18, 2009

Yes, it was awesome...

Today marked the beginning of the official ceremonies. We were anticipating a big day and I think it was everything we thought it would be.

I wandered around the U.S. History Museum; the teacher group that I was supposed to be with fell apart. I had heard that the museum was really getting into the inaugural spirit. It could not have been more true. I walked into the building and immediately saw Thomas Jefferson giving a talk and before long, ran into Abraham Lincoln in one of the main halls posing for pictures. A bit later, George Washington appeared out of nowhere. It was crammed with people but fun.

After the brief tour, I met my roommate, Marsha, and we worked our way down to the Lincoln Memorial. Close Up was taking the kids. We rushed to wait and as you can tell from the picture, arriving a couple of hours early didn't really get us much turf. It really didn't matter, everyone was enjoying the day. The music was everything it was billed to be. I looked around at one point and surveyed the crowd, I saw nothing but smiles. Oh, I almost forgot, as I was walking to the concert, I thought I saw a familiar face and stopped to check. Sure enough, Joy Ann and Bob Havran were headed to the concert as well. It was great to catch up with what was going on with them. I can't wait to see who else I run into! Anyway, it was a long and exhausting day, but as Mark Cox says, "sleep is for the weak". We're finding that out first hand but having the time of our lives.

Stay tuned, more adventures are yet to unfold.

3 comments:

  1. I watched every minute of the concert and envied you every minute as well! I kept looking as they panned the crowd for our ASES contingent, but no luck. I can't imagine how the excitement and enthusiasm must be building in DC - we can even feel it here (well, a little bit at least).

    Remind me to tell you about the T-shirt I ordered this weekend!

    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy moly! I had to set up an account to say: awesome! I'm so jealous that heaps of my friends are there now! Sounds like it was amazing--and cold cold cold. But that's the weather that I camped in front of the Supreme Court to see Bush v Gore in. DON'T TRY THAT! I've been passing your blog around NZ and US, so your experience is international now. Good to read about--and don't forget about Capitol Hill Books!! Apparently Obama was doing his "day of service" across the street from where I lived for a summer! Wow! Take care and be safe!!! xoxo Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  3. I THINK I'm actually an official poster now...I feel so IN. We're "with you" in spirit, right there with The Right Man for the Job. I watched the concert, looked for you, think I saw you -- were you the one with the goofy knit hat? Good news is that 1) I have a student not in prison who remembers me and 2) you have porta-potties everywhere. Such are the things that warm the cockles of an old woman's heart. Hope your cockles are warm today!!!

    ReplyDelete